Friday, February 02, 2007

More Jams That Light It Up

I recently got an iPod and it is really great. It's made me think about the music in my collection, and those albums that I absolutely "need" to have. I recently ordered a few of these albums and it has been interesting to review how they hold up over time. I went through a huge hip-hop phase when I was younger, and some of the albums I discovered then are still some of my favorite albums of all time. A few of these albums I recently added to my collection (formerly on a dubbed tape):

1. Outkast's Aquemini
2. Latryx's Album
3. Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite*

The first two were definitely on my old top five list in college. Upon a few iPod listens, I have found that Outkast's Aquemini still holds up as 98% excellent. I love the whole album (except I could live without "Skew it on the Bar-B.") When I first obsessed on this album, I was holed up in a trailer in Florida, studying plants of the Florida prairie. I related to the album then because I was in the South, I was lonely, and the thunderstorms were freakin' loud from inside the trailer. But, in the dead of a freezing winter in the Midwest, this album still warms my heart, and nods my head. The beats are great, heavy, but also fun, and it is interesting to revisit it after all of Andre 3000's recent projects. Aquemini still holds up as one of his best.

I have to listen to old Latryx a few more times. Although there are still some songs and beats that I still love, the test of time has made this album seem a bit more preachy over time. The jury's still out...

*Urban Hang Suite is actually a new addition to my collection, but oh!, I wish I had access to it for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment