Friday, February 16, 2007

The Road To Happiness Begins With Snow Boots

It's true! And I can post it now without bitterness, since the temperature is finally above freezing in Chicago! That last week or so was made bearable by the purchase of some snow boots. Anyway! Moving on!

I had a wonderful weekend, full of fun and romantic moments, and also some thinking/spiritual stimulation. I saw Dr. Micheal Beckwith speak on Friday, and he had some interesting things to say. Like any religious/spiritual tradition, it is interesting to learn about, and to think about the ins and outs of his theology/philosophy. By Monday night though, the philosophical part of my brain was totally exhausted!

Essentially, Beckwith's message was about positive thinking, and imagining the positive reality you want for yourself. As a spiritual aid, I think that is helpful and interesting. One of the other tenets of this philosophy is that you can let go of the things in your past that are binding you in negative thoughts. That you are not only the sum of your past experiences. However, I think it can be very helpful to draw on past experiences or family or genetic traits that are positive or inspiring. There are some things about my past or my family that I want to carry forward in my life. As I was playfully telling a friend this weekend, "I come from a people that farmed ice." I was referring to my Scandinavian heritage, of course, and I said it to illustrate that my people were tough, and thus, I am tough. Propitiating ancestors is another tradition that shows up in many cultures of spirit which speaks to this idea.

Anyway, there are many spiritual paths to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment