Thursday, February 01, 2007

Cold Weather Strategy for the Geography of Public Places

Huh?! Well, I am thinking about going to grad school, folks...

I've noticed a "game" I play when I get on the CTA on these really cold days. It's called: what's my cold weather strategy? Fear of drafts from the open CTA door trumps my other CTA geography strategies so that my seat selection follows this hierarchy:

1) Try to sit away from the door
2) Try to sit on a seat with a heater vent if I have to sit close to the door
3) Find a single seater
4) Find a double-seater by a window
5) Sit next to the panel next to the door, preferably the one that doesn't open at most of the stops and has a heater.

These cold weather strategies for the geography of public spaces also fall into place in a restaurant, though to a lesser extent. The main objective is to not be seated at a table by the door where you and your food will cool at a rapid, rapid pace when people come in and out of the restaurant. Also undesirable is sitting by a window where draftage can be felt. Brrr! All these little things are what make us able to cope with our winter weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment