Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I Earned My F*cking Snow Stripes

I went out earlier today for a little "retail therapy". This therapy consisted of going to Target to buy cleaning supplies and Trader Joes to buy groceries. I know, I know - I really know how to live it up. (Side note: I just got through a rather lean pay period, so when I got my recent paycheck I had to rush out to splurge on extra laundry detergent and pasta sauce, olive tapenade, wine, and about 20 cans of beans in preparation for some future lean time that may occur. Yikes.)

When I went to the store, I had to face the rather intimidating process of shovelling my car out of my alley parking spot. Normally fantastic, parking in the alley becomes a nightmare when it snows as much as it has in Chicago recently. Also, due to the blowing and drifting of snow, the snow was an extra 3 feet taller next to my car. I spent about an hour and half shovelling out the front of my car, and two little pathways along each side of the car so I could get in the car without stepping up to my knees in a snowbank. I also had to shovel part of the alley, so that I would have somewhere to walk with my snow-filled shovel to the place where I dumped my snow. But, how much of the alley does one really want to shovel? Shouldn't that be the job of some dude at Streets and Sanitation?

I regretted these words when I returned from the store. Oh, the sunshine had made me overconfident, and the major streets were as clear as could be. But, pulling back into the alley and trying to back into my parking spot - nightmare! At one point, I got totally stuck and my ultra-practical Dodge sedan did not have the "umph" I needed to get over the car-rut snowbank hump. In a panic, I got out to kick flailingly at the snow behind my tires, and twisted my knee in the process. Ow. I finally got dislodged from the snowbank, but it's a good thing I stocked up on those beans because I don't plan on going anywhere in my car anytime soon. Taxi!

No comments:

Post a Comment