Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Neighbor Breakthrough + Increased Peace of the Street!

I had a good neighbor breakthrough with my downstairs neighbors yesterday. As I've posted previously on my blog, we've had some problems in the past.

It turns out that we just needed an opportunity to be united for a cause against something else instead of each other. It turns out that the something else was a big-ass pile of garbage in the alleyway from the 5 a.m. restaurant that sits next door to us.

After a week or so of the garbage piling up at this place, critters galore - birds, mice, rats, - were starting to pick at the 10+ garbage bags sitting in the alley. While I enjoy seeing urban wildlife like blue herons and foxes, I don't want the alley near me to be the breeding and feeding grounds of the urban zoo.

So yesterday, I gave my Alderman a buzz and the garbage was gone by the end of the day. Yessss! It turns out my neighbor had called them too. She thought she was crazy-complaining and being ridiculous about it. She was assured that I had called them too and therefore felt newfound feelings of friendliness towards me. You see, her and her partner just moved from Madison, where it is uncouth to call the cops on a party, or call the Alderman about a trash problem. Well, here's your first (?) lesson to assuage your liberal guilt. Welcome to the big city where every bitch has to work together to increase the peace of the street!

No comments:

Post a Comment