Monday, May 22, 2006

Cadillac Cigar Man

I was driving around on the south side on Saturday morning. I pulled up at a light at 67th and Halsted, next to a Cadillac that had been swerving around like crazy. I had my windows down, and was blasting a band called "Stars" (sort of pop indie rock) on my car radio.

The Cadillac man got my attention. When I looked over, he was dressed in black, with a red stocking cap, and smoking a big ole cigar. Just as cool as a cucumber, he says,

"I tried to call you last night. Where were you?"

Seeing the possibility of an interesting exchange I said with a smile, "I was busy with my boyfriend."

"Well," he said, "I was with my girlfriend when I called you."

I shrugged.

"So I guess we were all on three-way," he said. "Turn to 92.3 on the radio."

"92.3?" I said, "What's that?"

"Just turn to it," he said.

So I put on 92.3 and it was a hard rap song, a gangster rap song.

"This song is pretty good," I said.

"I'll make you a CD," he said.

I just laughed.

Finally, the light turned green and I was able to make my left turn.

"It was nice talkin' to ya. Have a good one," I said.

He honked in reply.

1 comment: