Thursday, May 11, 2006

Money on the Mirror - Cat's Eye


I'm reading the book Cat's Eye right now, which I'm borrowing from a friend.
(Part of my book project mentioned here and here.)

Anyway, it's a book by Margaret Atwood, and she has a very hypnotic writing style. The book is fascinating, though somewhat heavy in mood, as it is a reflection on middle age and growing up as a girl and not understanding the culture of girls, for lack of a better term.

But there is one section that provided a potentially great image, that should totally be appropriated into some kind of ironic comedy. It's really brilliant -

In the scene, the narrator is trying on some clothes in a fitting room, and she is not too jazzed about it. She writes, "If I ran a store like this I'd paint all the cubicles pink and put some money into the mirrors: whatever else women want to see, it's not themselves; not in their worst light anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment