Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Mirror of Appearances, Part II

At a party last weekend, a friend was telling a story about how she went out with her coworker who happens to have enormous hooters.

"It was a whole different experience," she said, "because all the guys would check out her [hooters] before anything else, while I'm used to the all-over glance-over from face to feet. It made me wonder," she continued, "what it would be like to have a different body type or shape."

"That's not so weird, Miz M," you might be saying to yourself. "There's been whole mess of movies with that subject. Ever heard of "Big" or "Vice Versa" or "Freaky Friday"? What about those reality shows like "Wife Swap"? Everyone wonders what it might be like to be in someone else's shoes."

But I will tell you that this woman comes in pretty nice natural packaging. In my mind, she was really asking, "what would it be like to be ugly or fat?" I feel like I've heard other attractive women muse about this type of thing. Because I don't think anyone that is unattractive would say that type of thing aloud to their friends. After all, there is pride involved! And, by the time one is in their mid to late 20s, I would think that they would have developed other charms. Like say, a sense of humor, good story telling skills, intelligence, or charisma to bridge the gap of not being thin and attractive or having enormous hooters. It seems to me that people that are super attractive get stuck on how their appearance affects their lives much more than other people. But maybe I'm just naive...

No comments:

Post a Comment