Monday, December 18, 2006

A Word to the Wise, Young, Single Men Out There...

Don't take this the wrong way...

Well, let me specify that this is not directed to anyone in particular, (you know, it's NOT one of those passive-aggressive blog posts favored by the tech-savvy hipsters to communicate frustration with each other) but rather a trend I've noticed in my dating travels about single men in their 20s and 30s. In fact, I'm seriously concerned about the straight men of my generation! I've met some awesome guys this year. Guys who I definitely appreciate more now than I would have 5 years ago - they are funny, smart, kind, have stable jobs, interesting ambitions, etc. etc. Only, they need to lose about 20-30 lbs., and stop smoking!

Since so many people are single longer, there is a different kind of responsibility for a person living alone to take care of their own health. Not to say that just because people are married or in a couple that they necessarily take better care of themselves. But, unlike other demographics, most straight guys do not face the same pressures as women or gay men to keep their looks and health together. (And don't even start about the "metrosexual" thing. That's bullshit and affects about 2% of the population - all stockbrokers or whatever.)

But, I'm talking about that guy who has all his hair, and is a bit of a diamond "in the rough" because of his weight. Maybe the guy has been single for awhile, had a few bad relationships, or are a little shy around the ladies. So, they kind of "give up" about their appearance. Or they don't want to do the hairless, prettyboy thing, which, thank god! But boys, that doesn't mean you should let it go all together! Get to the gym! Eat some veggies! It's genetics, fellas! Take better care of your health and the gals will come to you!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:04 PM

    C'mon Miz... I STARVED myself for three years (less than 1000 calories a day), worked out, the whole nine yards and NEVER dropped below 210. I'm not young (mid 40s) but I think my metabolism just quit working or something. I didn't date for three years and after three months of dating found a great gal and we're very happy together. Jeez, I thought men were bad about judging by appearance alone. It's a whole lot more important what values, goals, and dreams a man has than what his scale reports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was expecting a comment like yours, Mr. Anonymous, and I think you're being overly sensitive. I didn't say every man has to have rockhard abs or be thin or muscular, etc. etc. Values, goals, dreams are important, and more important than looks, I agree. But a healthy lifestyle is also important because I don't want a man to keel over from a heart attack when he is 51. I'm talking about undertaking some form of exercise for health purposes - and a surprising number of guys don't do that -

    ReplyDelete