Sunday, December 24, 2006

Aunty Cici?

Being home for Christmas has made me think of nicknames. I kind of wish that my family was one to give out nicknames, nice ones, to each other. I'm not saying I want my family to call me "Beefcake", but I always wished I had an aunt CiCi or Tootie or an aunt named Rebecca Anne that everyone called "Rose" for some forgotten reason. I think it sounds affectionate, and well, fun.

I've had a few nicknames throughout my life, but none of them have stuck for more than a few years. I once dated a Cuban guy who gave me all sorts of wondeful and affectionate nicknames: Pelusa, Pelusina, Patacoja, M-sona, and Mamita. I adored the habit (more than the man?) and I will never forget it. But the beauty of a nickname, and of nicknaming, is that it has to come naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment