Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Headscarf Hands-Free

This morning on the train I saw a twist on the "hands-free" cell phone thing. Honestly, it was so distracting! There was a Muslim woman who seemed to me a more *liberal* type of Muslim, which I am basing (in my ignorance) solely on her clothing choices. She was wearing a green headscarf with embroidery and beading, and a bright magenta shirt. She also was talking on a cell phone. She had her big ole cell phone pressed against her ear, tucked into her headscarf so she didn't have to hold it. It was convenient and somewhat practical, I suppose. But it was still weird. I wanted to take a picture with my camera phone, but I thought that might be disrespectful.

After my previous post, I was thinking about street corner preachers. What type of message would I actually be interested in or identify with from a street corner preacher? I decided that rather than a preacher railing on about cigarettes or weed or Doritos, I'd rather that he publicly condemned the people on the bike path that let their dogs drink out of the water fountains THAT ARE MEANT FOR PEOPLE. That would be awesome.

"Bring a water dish for your dogs, good people of Chicago, or you are going straight to hell!"

No comments:

Post a Comment