Monday, May 14, 2007

Don't Curse My Doritos

State Street in Chicago is apparently an informal entrepreneur's paradise. Last week I was walking around on a weekday after 5 p.m. On every corner, someone was trying to exchange something - change for beer, religious pamphlets, hip-hop CDs. The religious pamphlets were especially notable - I probably saw 4 different people handing them out between Van Buren and Monroe Streets.

There are different types of pamphleteers. There is the guy who lurks and just slides the pamphlet into your path as you walk by, there's the friendly pamphleteer, and an aggressive one. Then there are the street preachers giving their messages. There's one guy who always stands in front of Old Navy with an amp and a microphone, talking about the dangers of weed and cigarettes. At least I get him. A few streets down on this particular day there was another street corner preacher. As I walked by him, I caught an earful of him cursing Doritos. Doritos? Is that really necessary? I mean, nutrition is a serious issue but I don't think it's serious enough to take Doritos to task on the street corner. You know?

No comments:

Post a Comment