Sunday, August 05, 2007

A Mixed Bag

I made it to North Carolina and alive and well, only tired.

My first impressions? When I walked into my apartment I still liked it, and subsequently, when I left and returned, I liked it again and again. So, that's a good thing! I've been setting everything up, with the help of my parents and I'm pretty happy with how things are going.

On the other hand, it is weird to be in a college town again. I feel kind of old. 28? Damn. That feels old somehow. Where are all the peeps in their 30s at?!? Other complaints? I have a scratchy throat from all the "new" chemicals. New bed, new shower curtain. All that fire-resistant shit smells a little funny. Or, could it be allergies from the NC vegetation? Maybe I should vacuum my apartment again. Then again, my new bed is awesome and comfortable and has nothing to do with my current insomnia. And my new shower curtain has a zebra pattern on it. Let's hear it for the animal prints! What?! What!? Anyone...

One of the hardest things is getting around town. All the streets wind around and change names. The shopping centers have such lush vegetation and little signage that, though aesthetically pleasing, it is very difficult to tell which stores they contain. It makes the area conducive to just "knowing where everything is" rather than, like, figuring it out on the Chicago grid.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:44 PM

    So glad to hear you made it safely to NC and that you are getting settled in. (Also, having just turned 50 I can assure you that you are not old!!!) Would love to see some pics of your new digs - please post or email! Aunt J

    ReplyDelete