Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Code Word: Ma'am?

Okay, it turns out that only some people in south are friendly. Some are rude! Maybe this is similar to anywhere but I swear, it makes me wonder sometimes: is there some cultural password that I'm missing? I have considered that this password could be "sir" or "ma'am." I thought that these words were only used grudgingly by characters in Harry Potter. But it seems that people in the south actually use these words, like on the phone.

The first time I was called "ma'am," I'll admit, it was charming. But later I found myself having slightly rude-seeming conversations with people that I was trying to get to help me over the phone. "Did I do something wrong?" I thought. Perhaps throwing in a "sir" or "ma'am" here and there would really help me get on with the locals in the service sector. But I can't help but think it would just sound awkward as an addition to my vocabulary. It would seem more like an affectation if I said it. "Oh, thanks for the insurance quote...... MA'AM!!!!!!!!" And when I said "ma'am" my voice would crack or squawk. I think I can only start using these southern passwords alongside some other physical affectation, such as a feather boa (too hot), rhinestone cat glasses (too much) or a diamond-studded cigarette holder (perfect). Until I've scoured the thrift shops and estate sales to find this perfect "ma'am" cigarette holder, well, I guess I'll just have to use the well-worn verbal tools of the North: "Please" and "Thank You".

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:08 AM

    This is great info to know.

    ReplyDelete