Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Pork Chop ala Experimental

In light of my previous post, and before I knew anything about Julia Child, I have had one of her cookbooks. Far from her "preferred" in-depth style recipes, it's more of a general "fly by the seat of your pants" type cookbook. It has a little overview of many things, and leaves many details unclear for someone who doesn't know much about the basics of cooking. However, last night I used her tips to make an amazing rub for some surprisingly tasty pork chops. The rub consisted of salt, pepper, all-spice, and dried thyme. Wow! It smelled so spicy and delicious when I rubbed it on!

To fully cook the pork chop, the recipe said to brown it on both sides, which I did. However, I was then supposed to stew it in a slight sauce of white wine vermouth, chicken broth, and shallots. Sounded delicious, but whoops! I didn't have any of those things in the kitchen. The pork chops needed some additional cooking, so I put together a liquid, ahem, "sauce" of a little water, white wine vinegar, vegetable oil, and sliced onions. "I hope I don't ruin it!" I said as I poured it in. It did the job of cooking the pork, the onions softened beautifully, and my little sauce didn't ruin the savoriness of the pork rub marinade. It was delicious! As one who almost always follows a recipe, I was impressed with myself, and truly inspired from trying something new -

No comments:

Post a Comment