Monday, September 18, 2006

Picasso Street Eye

Have you ever noticed when someone you know has "an eye" for something. I've known people who have had a super-attuned visual attention for art or architecture, fashion, jewelry, purses, cars, hairstyles, furniture, etc., etc. However, these visually-oriented people don't always have an eye for all things visual. It's pretty interesting what different people attend to with their visual senses.

I think I have a pretty good eye for fashion and jewelry, and am able to identify quality items and appreciate them for their exquisiteness. But when it comes to architecture, I just draw a blank. I have no training in architecture so I have no developed visual vocabulary, and no inherent criteria for valuation that I've developed on my own. But more than that, it is almost as if my eye doesn't see it. If I'm walking down a street, I'm more apt to notice the people on the street - what they are wearing, what they are doing, what they are saying. Secondly, I would notice any wayfinding signage on the street - street signs, street lights, storefronts - because I like to know where I'm going. Third, I might notice the natural elements on the street - plants, gardens, trees, fountains, birds. These are the things that interest me, so these are the things I see; then I'm able to judge them by their visual quality and interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment