Monday, September 11, 2006

The Art and Joy of Argument

In my everyday life, I tend to avoid confrontations and arguments. With some people, I work very very hard to be diplomatic, and to not disagree.

It's refreshing, then, to find people who can understand the art of arguing for fun. Not only do you need to find someone who likes to argue, but that likes to argue in a compatible style for your relationship to that person. Recently, I heard a girl friend say, "I got in an argument with a friend. The friend said, 'I hate you so much, I want to kill you.' " Another girl in the our discussion said, "Wow. I wish I could make someone that mad."

To girl #2, that amount of anger emotion is a strange sign of affection, no?

I like to argue and tease, and talk a little bit of shit. For some reason, this seems to go over better with my men friends. They seem to be able to take it more in stride, and get a bit of banter going without emotional consequences. With most of my female friends, it seems more difficult to get the argument rapport and sense of understanding that light arguing is just for fun, for intellectual practice, to sharpen the wit, or just to relieve tension about something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment