Monday, April 03, 2006

Hipster Coffee Shops are the Worst Place to Eavesdrop

On Friday afternoon, I went to coffee shop for some chill-time, and to enjoy some jazz music, rain, coffee, and pleasure reading.

There were a lot of people in this coffee shop, and a lot of them were on laptops. What are they doing, I wondered. Maybe they are writers, writing stories about some intense emotional experience, or a fiery political piece about illegal immigration. But the imagination buck stopped there.

When I sat down, I overheard a really loud conversation between two girls about how one bought a bunch of clothes at American Apparel. The other one couldn't find a good pair of jeans for under $100. Boring! This conversation did not even provide enough material to fuel a good rant on hipsters. What a disappointment!

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a guy fuddling around. Is he knitting?! Awesome, a guy knitting in a hipster coffee shop! When I looked directly at him, he was actually only uncurling the cord of his earphones to plug it into his laptop.

Oh, well, I guess I got my chill time after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment