Thursday, April 13, 2006

Fridge Smellification Committee - A Workplace Necessity

I formed a Fridge Smellification Committee at my office. It's a committee of one. (Me.)

The FSC has total power and control over our office mini-fridge. Which isn't that great of a job because it really entails monitoring the fridge for nastiness, moldy leftovers, and expired milk. Also, the mini-fridge does not close, which causes the ice from the freezer to melt all over the other stuff in the fridge. Running the FSC is a thankless job, to be certain.

Because of the heinous state of our fridge, I took it upon myself to find another used fridge in the classified ads. I arranged to pick up the fridge, and pay $50 for it. Again, a pretty thankless job.

When I make the switch from heinous fridge to not-yet-heinous fridge, I've threatened my co-workers that I will throw their shit away. I wrote them in an email:

I will not transfer your stuff into the new fridge.

I will throw it away.

This includes all the little condiment things that are in there like peanut butter and mayo and dressing and whatever else including tupperware.

A coworker's wife took this to another level at her office, when it was her turn to clean the fridge. Her method was actually calling out the disgusting stuff that she had to throw away. Hilarious! See her text below:

I already threw out the following:

  • very large take-out container with small 1 inch piece of tofu(?) - why did you save this?
  • rotten CB tuna salad
  • moldy rice&beans mix in a small quality tupperware (it is soaking on the sink if you want to claim it)
  • mayonnaise jar (best before August 30, 2004) - please don't tell me someone was still using this, there is a perfectly fine one that only expired last week on the door. ;)
Here is what I found that I will probably pitch on Friday if it isn't claimed/labeled:
  • small tupperware w/ white mystery sauce
  • medium old-school tupperware w/ end of chili
  • bag of organic salad mix (turning brown and slimy)
  • 4 square sandwich size containers with respectively: 1 egg, 1/2 chicken breast, cooked veggie mix that is rotting, weird white slime, and meat/veggie/pasta leftovers.
  • slimy ham in drawer - your sliced gouda is still ok, but I would eat it soon


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:22 PM

    HA HA hilarious, I run the FSC at our lab. Yes lab we dont get offices just little knee holes along the wall. Periodically I send my labmates a note to pitch their shit. Which I find pretty nice of me seeing as one of my labmates has the luck to have the knee whole directly next to the mini-fridge and gets to smell the odor of crazy mold experiments. One particular labmate, CMP is quite notorious for saving and saving stuff. CMP has a record of a secret emergency snack that she saved in her purse for like a year at least.

    --KB

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very considerate to that poor person who has to sit by the fridge. It's a wonder why they don't back you up in your FSC activities.

    And year-old snack in the purse! Disgusting! I hope you don't have a knee hole next to CMP!

    ReplyDelete