Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Most Environmental Activity of Late: I Darned My Socks

I am kind of particular about the socks I wear, and I have had a consistent problem when my favorite socks wear down: the big toe area gets a hole in it before the rest of the sock wears out.

For shame, I threw some of these toe-hole socks away because my toe would start to stick out and get cold. As I threw them away, I thought: "what a waste." And I would also wonder, "why doesn't anyone darn socks? what does it mean to darn socks? is that from a Charles Dickens novel or what?"

A quick internet search turned up:
mend: sewing that repairs a worn or torn hole (especially in a garment)

But typical of definitions, it doesn't tell you how to do it. In my mind, darning socks actually involved knitting or crocheting tiny threads to actually weave a new fabric over the area of the hole. Who has time for that?

Then I realized, "there's no darning police. there's no one here who will say my darning method is wrong." So, I just sewed up the hole by stitching one side to the other side. And you know what? It looks fine. And technically, I darned it.

My new ability to darn my toe-holes has saved several pairs of socks from the trash barrel, and has made me feel like my personal policies are more environmentally sustainable since my socks now last a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment