Tuesday, October 03, 2006

It's Like Nothing You've Seen Before Because It Doesn't Make Any G-D Sense

This morning I was flipping through the October Martha Stewart magazine and I saw an ad that made absolutely no sense. It was a picture of a lady washing her face with a new kind of Dove facial wipes that have a scary amount of things within the wipe - cleanser, exfoliant, toner and moisturizer. The slogan on the ad said: "It's like nothing you've used before because it's like everything you've used before." Huh? Am I supposed to buy this product because I'm too confused to realize what it does? Then I'll be in such a daze trying to figure it out, that I don't realize that I put it in my cart?

That ad was just a few pages away from a Honda car ad that says: "ENVIRONMENTOLOGY: Honda thinking in action." Now, I've been studying for the GRE and I'm pretty sure that "Environmentology" is not a real word, and that Honda thinking in action does not form a complete sentence. Hmm.

The other ad campaign that is totally annoying is the Snickers campaign with made-up words. First of all, the branding style is totally ugly. To see some made-up word like "Snickaterifcellent" on the back of the bus in some ugly-ass huge brown letters when I'm on my morning commute just puts me in a bad mood.

I used to like Snickers.

Not anymore.

It's an interesting advertising technique to try to make people dumber by writing copy that makes no sense, and by making up some fake mispelled words, in order to sell them stuff. I'm going to go out on an optimistic commericial limb and say that it is not going to work. I hope so, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment