Sunday, August 09, 2009

RE:juvenation

I know, I know. Awesome last post. So descriptive.

Honestly, the cat has had my tongue the past three weeks. Three weeks! I can't believe I've been three weeks at my new job. The time has flown by.

I went to Chicago this weekend to visit Mr. D and it was absolutely delightful. We had a friends brunch for his birthday on Saturday, and it was very fun and rejuvenating for me. It felt great to be among friends and eating good food (both things in short supply in my experience in Wisconsin so far.) I love my friends in Chicago - they are smart and weird and it was refreshing to spend time with them. As for Mr. D, after seeing some friends, we saw "Julie & Julia," went to Koreanfest, AND went out to dinner. We had a great time all around and laughed together and it was lovely.

One thing that came up while I was talking about my new life experience of late was my nosy landlord. He's not nosy with bad intentions but he does note my comings and goings. I paid my rent in cash this month and in a later conversation it became apparent that he had told some of his friends about that ("Ask Marta to buy your CD; she's flush with cash.") Another day, I got home at 9:45 p.m. on my bike and I noticed that he looked out the window and said to some guest of his, "Yep. She's coming home. 9:45 p.m." This is mostly funny as I sometimes note his comings and goings as well. A small town thing, I began to think. I thought about my great grandmother who used to note the comings and goings of a Greek family in her apartment building and how much zest it actually gave her life (even though she complained about it all the time.) However, when I talked to some of my friends in Chicago, it turned out that they know exactly who on their block is a spying landlord and who's pregnant and who just redid their house with a lot of money, etc. etc.

I guess it's just a human thing.

1 comment:

  1. Hey great post! You need to come up with something clever for a new sub title, instead of off the grid of chicity for north carolina, something about Wisco.

    ReplyDelete