Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Place to Sell Junk for Cash


Receipt from the scrap yard.

Metal junk, that is.
I had to revive the Fridge Smellification Committee earlier this week in order to dispose of the old office mini-fridge that didn't close. I did extensive research (10 phone calls) to find out where I could dispose of the mini-fridge to ensure that it would be recycled. I found a scrap collection business (Bucktown Recycling) that reportedly would recycle a mini-fridge, and arranged with a coworker to drop it off there.

We drove up to the joint, which was an organized mayhem of scrap collectors with their shopping carts full of cans, abandoned car mufflers, burned-out alternators, and all kinds of metal stuff. There was sort of a line where people waited to put their metal on the scale to weigh it, and then they would get a cash payout based on the weight and type of metal. Our mini-fridge weighed in at 54 lbs. of "iron", which I thought would result in a decent payout based on what I could see other people getting. The guy behind the glass handed me the receipt above, and counted out $1.62 for my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment