Thursday, July 13, 2006

Creep While Driving: 3rd Time Is Still Not A Charm

What is it with these driving creeps?
Yesterday, I encountered another creep in the car.

I was driving to my jewelry class and I was waiting at a stoplight, minding my own business. I keep hearing a little friendly "beep-beep" honking from the car next to me, which I assumed was to geared towards a lady with a stroller who was trying to cross the street. When she crossed, and the person kept honking, I looked over.

"I hope this is not out of line," the man stuttered, "but I think you're really beautiful."
"Thanks," I said, and turned away.
But he kept talking.
"I was wondering if you wanted to go out to lunch or dinner sometime. Do you want to have lunch or dinner?"

"No, I don't think so," I said.

Being hit on while driving is a new phenomenon I've started experiencing only this summer. It does seem like a more old fashioned way of trying to get dates, I suppose. An alternative for those people who "don't want to meet someone in a bar," and for whom the Internet just isn't reaping the return in dates that one expected. But meeting someone from the car? How likely is that to work?

If I had to repeat that situation again, I might handle it differently. Instead of rejecting him flat-out, I should have proposed that we have a "driving date." He could drive around in his car; I'll drive around in mine. Then, we can both blog about it. No awkward conversations. No real interactions.

Now if I only got his license plate number...

No comments:

Post a Comment