Thursday, November 10, 2005

Hamburgers As Peace Offering

I got a note from my downstairs neighbors yesterday, accompanied by a chocolate croissant from Au Bon Pain. The subject of the note is their dumb and naughty puppy (Lulu), who barks himself hoarse every time I go up and down the stairs to my apartment. In the past two days, I had run-ins with Lulu in the yard and on my stairs. A "run-in" consists of me being bum-rushed by Lulu, barked at, and sniffed, but not bitten or humped. Then said neighbors grab a hapless Lulu by the collar and drag her inside with a mumbled, "Sorry."

Lucky for me, my neighbors began to realize that their puppy is, um, a little anti-social. In the aforementioned note, my neighbors proposed that a "formal introduction" to Lulu would surely calm her nerves, and turn her feisty territorial behavior into a charm befitted to a southern belle.
This "proven" ritual of animal taming consists of the soon to be former stranger (me) tossing a bunch of hamburgers to Lulu. After gobbling up the hamburgers, and presumably some sniffing, we are friends and no longer strangers. Clever?

This ritual is set to take place on Sunday, November 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment