Thursday, November 24, 2005

Blow-up Doll Salsa Dancer

I was passing through Grand Central Station in New York City this week, on my way to turkey paradise. During my few days in New York, I saw a few musicians or dancers in the subway but nothing that made me stop en route.

However, people-watching reached a new high when I saw a well-groomed latino man wearing a black suit. He had a radio that was playing some salsa music, and was dancing a salsa-waltz with a blow-up doll. The doll had long red hair, and a short magenta dress. Quite a crowd was gathered around to see this performance.

Did his salsa partner called in sick?
"Hey sweetie, I can't dance the New York gig today, you're going to have to find a replacement..."

Or was he showing off his "female companion" after hiding in shame for too long?

I delight in the thought of this dance as a sincere gesture, because either of the above options would reflect a ballsy zest for life. But I suppose it's possible that there was irony in this performance.

If this is the new avant-garde, show me more!

No comments:

Post a Comment